Tuesday, October 04, 2011

today

I went to a funeral today, of a man who has lovingly played the organ at the church I work at for the last...63 years. Incredible right. It was a bit of a shock to find out he'd passed away. But the story I want to tell is about the young boy he was teaching the organ to. Nikolai got up at the service today...I'm going to try and remember a little of what he shared. Nikolai and Don met at Easter this year at an Easter service. They were introduced by another guy from church and Don had asked how tall Nikolai was. Apparently he was not to short and not to tall to start learning the organ, just the right height! Nikolai reminisced on their first lesson where Don told him all about the organ, the different parts, how to look after it. Might not sound like a lot of fun to average Joe but for someone who loves music and was so happy to share all his knowledge on somewhat of a dying art form it was a wonderful time shared.
It was a wonderful tribute to his teacher. His teacher for only a short while but one Nikolai learnt a lot from and really valued. It bought a tear to my eye. 

1 comment:

  1. My goodness...63 years! That is dedication.

    This is such a nice story and I found it kind of uplifting which feels a bit weird to say but I guess it's nice to think Don got to pass his knowledge on to a young person who was keen to learn. I especially liked the bit about him being 'just the right height to start learning!'

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for stopping by and saying hello! It really means so much that you have read and said hello! I love that you comment and I try to get back to all comments by replying under yours, so please check back for a reply