Friday, July 01, 2011

grateful in the midst of struggle

This week has been a bit of a struggle.  Last week my mum lost her dad and so this week my immediate family, Mumma bear, Papa Bear and myself and 3 sisters all made our way over to Western Australia from South Australia, some by plane some by car. It  has been a really emotionally draining week. It was almost impossible to get out of bed this morning because I was so physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted and my brain was not kicking into gear...and I also don't drink coffee. So I didn't get up...until 8.3am a whole hour after my alarm went off...I am grateful that my job allows me to do that! But I digress. It was very special that I was able to go to the funeral and be with Mum and Nana. It was a nice funeral, lots of people turned up to pay their respects to Pop.Some very good family friends travelled 400kms to come and support us. Man  that was incredible. There was a slide show and he was honored as someone who fought for our country in WWII. I felt proud to be his grand daughter. But you know taking 3 days out of work is hard...work doesn't stop so I came back today to a fairly long to do list, one major thing for Tuesday....which nearly tipped me over the edge....but then I played the chocolate game at youth and it was good to laugh with the youngins I work with! But I am glad and grateful in fact to have those days to greive, to attend a funeral and that it's Friday so I only had to do it one day!

So even though life kicked me in the shins a few times this week I am graeful for
Being able to get reasonable prices flights to Perth
That we finally were able to get flights and the ash cloud stayed away
credit cards to pay for said flights
I got to hang out with my cousins and see what they are up to even though the reason we came together was sad...AND this is probably the thing I am MOST GRATEFUL for this week!
That we were able to say goodbye to Pop in a special way...
For friends who travel 400km to come and support my mum and dad at a funeral, the friends who know you so well (probably because you have known them for 25 years!)
Thanks for reading...it was quite cathartic to type that...I am seriously tired so I might come back tomorrow and re read it and think gosh waffle! BUT there are lots of gratefuls in the midst of struggles!

5 comments:

  1. so sorry...my pop was in png too. it's lovely that you can find things to be grateful for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that through all this you're still able to find some positives. It's always a difficult time. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always a very sad time when someone close to you passes away. It is great that you can allow yourself to feel that sadness but also enjoy the positives as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. Aren't you lucky that you had him this long? Mine last surviving Grandparent when I was in my early thirties, and most never knew their grandchildren, or even the possibility of them. Bit sad. Hope you all manage okay.

    x

    PS - Sneaky AND clever! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so important to get the opportunity to say your goodbyes :) my three remaining grandparents have passed away while I have been in Australia and through circumstances I was only able to make it home for one of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for stopping by and saying hello! It really means so much that you have read and said hello! I love that you comment and I try to get back to all comments by replying under yours, so please check back for a reply